"My prayer... my brother... I wanted to see your face... once more."
|Post-Timeskip | Pre-Timeskip|
Richard (Real Name)
Hoteye of the Heavenly Eyes
|Base of Operations||
Oración Seis Guild (formerly)
Wally Buchanan (younger brother)
Hoteye (ホットアイ Hottoai), whose real name is Richard (リチャード Richādo), is a former member of the Oración Seis, a Dark Guild composed of highly powerful Mages whose goal is to find Nirvana, a destructive power that was sealed away long ago. He is the elder brother of Wally Buchanan.
The tallest member of Oración Seis, Hoteye is a large and imposing man whose appearance is peculiar in the fact that he looks both quite feminine and, most curiously, has a body consisting of geometrical forms with sharp angles, not possessing rounded parts. What this stems from is unknown, as Hoteye, unlike his brother, hasn't displayed the use of Polygon Magic. He has long, wavy and flowing orange hair reaching down below his shoulders, bright blue eyes with long eyelashes, a prominent, flat nose and full, and red feminine lips. His large forehead tops his eyes directly, due to the seeming lack of eyebrows. His massive torso and arms look even more massive if compared to his head, relatively small in comparison, and to his thin legs.
Hoteye's outfit consists of a loose black shirt, with light sleeves adorned by a series of dark merged rhombuses, a large, white collar closed on the front going down to cover his shoulders and a sash tied around his waist visible under it, and simple light pants tucked inside light boots, with the parts circling his calves being reminiscent of leg warmers. Circling Hoteye's neck is a large necklace made of brown beads, which has a pendant hanging from it, this taking the shape of an eye flanked by two small, wing-like protrusions. Hoteye is almost always shown carrying around a book in his right hand, whose light cover bears, inside a rectangular part with angles curving inwards, a large, dark motif reminiscent of the letter "J".
Seven years later after imprisonment, Hoteye has undergone small changes; although he still wore the same outfit, his hair has grown larger and has a pointed mustache.
He seems to have an obsession with money, as well as a habit of ending his sentences with "Right?" or "Exactly!", and tends to preach out his own personal anecdotes about money and riches to anyone within his vicinity, even in circumstances where it is obviously unnecessary, much to the chagrin of those present to hear him, including his own comrades. He is almost always seen holding a book close to him. The book he holds has the Jewel symbol on it, a possible reference to his obsession with money.
Later, Nirvana changes his personality drastically. He becomes much kinder and his desire changes as well. He gives up his obsession with money and becomes a person full of love and goodness. He sets a new goal for himself, which is to find his only brother, Wally.
Hoteye/Richard and his brother Wally Buchanan lost their parents at a very young age and lived on cultivating potatoes. They were presumably captured by the cult of Zeref and forced to become slaves of the Tower of Heaven.
Oración Seis arcEdit
He, along with the other Oración Seis members, promptly defeat the alliance, Fairy Tail, Blue Pegasus, Lamia Scale, and Cait Shelter, on their first meeting. Brain later assigns him to look for Nirvana with Angel and Cobra.
Later, he runs into Jura Neekis, and they fight using their Earth-based Magic. Both are interrupted when they spot the pillar of light from Nirvana's unsealing and Jura is conflicted between fleeing to investigate Nirvana and defeating Hoteye. Before he can decide, Hoteye's personality suddenly switches due to the effects of Nirvana's unsealing, which results in a sweet persona with no aggression, much to Jura's confusion and bewilderment. Nirvana changes his alignment from evil to good due to his previous ambiguity. He reveals that searching for his lost younger brother led to his obsession with money, as he believes it to be the only means of finding him. Hoteye proceeds to happily hug Jura and declares his wish to stop his comrades, the Oración Seis, and to teach them "the beauty of love". They are both later seen climbing up one of Nirvana's legs when its second stage is activated.
The two encounter Lucy and Gray and Hoteye then explains that Nirvana was originally used to keep the power of Light and Dark in check and its creators never intended it to be used as Magic. Before he could elaborate, Midnight attacks after realizing Hoteye's defection. Hoteye saved the group from the attack and battled Midnight while the group proceeded. Hoteye's unique eyesight gave him an advantage over Midnight, allowing Hoteye to overwhelm the younger Mage. However, this proved to be an illusion since Midnight defeated Hoteye using the same lacerating ability that felled Eve Tearm and Ren Akatsuki. As Hoteye falls, he states that his prayer was to see his brother for one last time.
Later, Hoteye saved both Natsu and Jellal from Nirvana before it collapsed on itself. In the aftermath of the battle, Hoteye was arrested by the newly reformed Magic Council, he accepted this as repentance for his past sins. Jura informed him he would take his quest of finding his brother and asked what his name was, and he told them his name was Wally Buchanan. Erza, recognizing the name, describes her encounter with Wally, a fellow former slave; Wally is safe and well, and the last time she heard from him, he was traveling around the continent. Hoteye falls to his knees and breaks into tears, thanking them. He is then formally arrested and led away by Lahar and the Magic Council Detention Corps Division 4.
Seven years later, Hoteye is released from prison courtesy of Cobra and comments on how their love has been received. He then watches with a shocked expression, alongside the rest of his guildmates, as Cobra viciously assaults Brain. As the rest of his guild discusses what to do next, Hoteye reveals his desire to see his brother, but Cobra stops them, informing them all of their first job's arrival; Jellal and Meredy approach them.
As Jellal approaches the Oración Seis and his fellows start to attack Jellal, Hoteye states that he no longer wishes to fight, leaving Angel to wonder if he is still under the influence of Nirvana. Hoteye explains that they are talking to the real him. The man, however, is berated by his comrades when he mentions that he will gladly submit to Jellal's will, though he is, surprisingly, backed up by Midnight, who tells them all that they can do whatever they wish with their freedom, and that "Richard" is no different. He then watches as Racer, Cobra and Angel fight Jellal. He listens as Midnight explains to Jellal that they are finally free after all this time they spent as pawns, but Jellal replies that they cannot be called free while remaining in the darkness, and that he shall be their liberator, something that he will achieve by defeating them. Hoteye then watches as Jellal is interrupted and fatally wounded by Zero.
Hoteye quickly sees, however, that Zero's killing of Jellal is all but an illusion; Jellal reappears before the Oración Seis, breaking through Midnight's visual trickery. Hoteye then watches as Jellal quickly defeats the four fighting Mages with Grand Chariot and Sema, noting that Jellal's Heavenly Body Magic is extremely fearsome. However, when Hoteye hears that Jellal wishes not to return them to prison or kill them, but rather have them join his guild, Hoteye's eyes go wide in shock.
Magic and AbilitiesEdit
- Liquid Ground (リキッドグラウンド, Rikiddo Guraundo): Hoteye's exclusive form of Earth Magic, which allows him to soften or liquify the ground, subsequently manipulating it at his will; something which, according to Hoteye himself, is the radical opposite to Jura Neekis' own form of Earth Magic, which allows him to make the ground hard. His main form of offense consists of turning large portions of ground below the target liquid, subsequently raising them in "waves" to envelop and crash foes, with the ground somehow acting like quicksand. Through the use of this Magic alone, he's shown capable of taking on several enemies, giving them trouble and preventing them from attacking in order not to sink. Other forms of attack include sending the liquified ground at the enemies in a tsunami-like assault; Hoteye's liquified ground has shown to possess enough blunt power to make large buildings crumble into pieces. Such softening power isn't focused only on offense, and has other avenues for usage, with Hoteye being capable, for instance, of making the ground cave in by liquifying it, generating holes that can serve as shelters for him or his allies. Hoteye can also employ it to nullify other earth-based attacks, as shown when he liquified Jura Neekis' rock pillars, which were sent flying at him, in midair, making them fall harmlessly to the ground. In addition, Hoteye has proven himself capable of using Liquid Ground as a means of transportation, traveling through the ground after liquifying it; in such state, he can carry passengers with him without causing them any harm. Hoteye appears to control such Magic through the use of hand gestures which he performs, with a recurring one being extending his hand towards the opponents with all fingers bent except the index and middle finger, which are kept diagonally stretched, creating a "V" shape; sometimes, before extending his arm, Hoteye has been known to place his stretched fingers on his face, just below his eyes, seemingly in reference to his codename or in order to employ his exclusive Heaven's Eye.
Heaven's Eye (天元 Tengen): As his codename and epithet imply, Hoteye possesses an exclusive form of Eye Magic, Heaven's Eye, which allows him to see over long distances and even through solid objects, as shown when he could pinpoint Midnight's location while the latter was hiding inside a building. He often combines it with his Earth Magic, first tracking down the opponents with Heaven's Eye and subsequently striking them with Liquid Ground. This combination was effective enough for him to momentarily keep the upper hand against Midnight, the self-proclaimed strongest Mage in Oración Seis, aside from Zero.
Appearances in Other MediaEdit
Fairy Tail Gekitotsu! Kardia DaiseidouEdit
- Main: Pillar Ground (ピラーグラウン Pirā Guraundo)
- Sub 1: Mud Shoot (土の弾 Maddo Shūto)
- Sub 2: Heaven's Eye (天眼 Tengan)
- Sub 3: Mud Coating (マッドコーティング Maddo Kōtingu)
- Super: Liquid Ground (リキッドグラウンド Rikiddo Guraundo)
Fairy Tail: Zeref's AwakeningEdit
Hoteye appears as a mini-boss in the PSP Game, Fairy Tail: Zeref's Awakening.
- The original codename for Hoteye was supposed to be "Mister Eye" rather than Hoteye.
- According to Hoteye, the head of Jura Neekis resembles a potato, which he used to eat with his brother Wally.
- (To Jura Neekis) "I was desperate to find the younger brother I lost. I thought that if I only had the money, I would be able to find him, but now I see that was all a mistake!"
- (To himself) "My prayer... my brother... I wanted to see your face... once more."
Battles & EventsEdit
|Mages||Angel • Cobra • Klodoa • Midnight • Racer|
|Left||Cubellios • Hoteye|
|Occupants||Millianna • Shô • Simon • Wally Buchanan|
|Slaves (Former)||Angel • Cobra • Erza Scarlet • Hoteye • Jellal Fernandes • Midnight • Millianna • Racer • Shô • Simon • Wally Buchanan|
|Left||Angel • Cobra • Erza Scarlet • Hoteye • Midnight • Racer|
|Deceased||Rob • Simon|