|Grand Magic Games (X791)|
Dai Matō Enbu
Determine the strongest guild in Fiore in the year X791
Initially, 113 teams took part in the tournament, but after the Preliminary Event, the number of teams participating decreased to only 8. After Raven Tail's disqualification, Fairy Tail was forced to combine their two teams into one, thus reducing the participating teams to 6.
|104 Unnamed Teams||Eliminated|
Referee & Mascot
The preliminaries and the main games are announced by Mato. It's unknown if he's a pumpkin creature or a man with a costume. His head is a giant pumpkin with eyes and mouth. He wears a striped jacket with a dark cape, pants, boots, gloves and a dark witch-like hat. He's often seen smiling and dancing, but has a bit dark personality, as he smiles when he announces that they won't take any responsibility for deaths in the labyrinth.
The Grand Magic Games' announcer is Chapati Lola, and Yajima is a main commentator. In the first day, Jenny Realight, a member of Blue Pegasus Guild and also Miss Fiore, is the guest commentator for the battles and events. Chapati gives the audience general information about the games and the participants, while Yajima gives his opinions about them. In the second day of the games, Jason, a reporter from the Sorcerer Magazine, was chosen to be the second day's guest, saying "Coool" to everything that he sees, and since Mato had the day off, Chapati also acted as referee. In the third day, the Magic Council's official, Lahar, serves as the guest. The fourth day's guest is Rabian from the theater group. For the fifth and final day of the Games, the guest is Mato.
In X791, the preliminary event consisted of getting out of a Magical labyrinth created by parts of Crocus' buildings. The first eight teams that reached the goal will move on. The inside appearance of the labyrinth was like a giant 3D maze that spins. The goal's location was a door with the word "Congratulations!" and "GOAL" written above it, where Mato waited to greet the winning teams.
|Team Fairy Tail B||Passed||2nd|
|Team Raven Tail||Passed||3rd|
|Team Lamia Scale||Passed||4th|
|Team Blue Pegasus||Passed||5th|
|Team Mermaid Heel||Passed||6th|
|Team Quatro Cerberus||Passed||7th|
|Team Fairy Tail A||Passed||8th|
|Team Twilight Ogre||Eliminated||N/A|
The tournament will be divided into 5 days, with two events held each day, one battle and one surprise event. For the surprise event, each team will receive an amount of points based on their position in the end of it:
- 1st: 10 points
- 2nd: 8 points
- 3rd: 6 points
- 4th: 4 points
- 5th: 3 points
- 6th: 2 points
- 7th: 1 points
- 8th: 0 points
For the battles, the winning team gets 10 points and the loser won't get any; if the fight ends up in a draw, both teams get 5 points.
- Team A vs Team B
- Team C vs Team D
- Team E vs Team F
- Team G vs Team H
The arena is the entire battle field and the winner is decided when the opponent is rendered incapable of fighting within the thirty minute time limit.
First Day: July 1, X791
The first day's event is "Hidden" in which the participants are:
In this game, the participants are sent to different locations in a town Magically created, which is filled with clones of the competitors.
- Mages win 1 point when they attack another competitor.
- 10 seconds after being attacked, the Mage will respawn in a different area of the city.
- Restarts can happen as many times as necessary until the time limit is reached.
- The winner is the Mage that has the most points after 30 minutes.
|Lucy Heartfilia vs. Flare Corona|
|Ren Akatsuki vs. Arania Web|
|War Cry vs. Orga Nanagear|
|Jellal Fernandes vs. Jura Neekis|
Two of the matches were sabotaged by outside forces, both involving Fairy Tail.:
- The first battle between Lucy Heartfilia and Flare Corona was sabotaged by Obra from Team Raven Tail, who used a Dispelling Magic on Lucy to make her lose.
- The last battle between Jellal Fernandes as Mystogan and Jura Neekis was sabotaged by Ultear Milkovich and Meredy from Crime Sorcière, using Maguilty Sense to impede Jellal so his identity won't be revealed.
First Day Results
|Team Raven Tail||18|
|Team Lamia Scale||16|
|Team Blue Pegasus||14|
|Team Mermaid Heel||3|
|Team Quatro Cerberus||2|
|Team Fairy Tail B||1|
|Team Fairy Tail A||0|
- Due to the damage sustained from the third battle, War Cry of Team Quatro Cerberus, was unable to participate in the remainder of the Games and was replaced by the reserve member, Bacchus.
Second Day: July 2, X791
The second day's event is "Chariot", in which the participants are:
- Magic can be used at any time to help the competitors reach the goal faster or hinder the other competitors.
- Falling off the chariots will result in disqualification.
- The winner is the Mage that reaches the Grand Magic Games Arena first.
|Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki||5th|
|Toby Horhorta vs. Kurohebi|
|Elfman Strauss vs. Bacchus|
|Mirajane Strauss vs. Jenny Realight|
|Kagura Mikazuchi vs. Yukino Aguria|
For each of the battle rounds, the participants chose to put a wager on whether they would win or not.:
- Toby wagered his "super secret" (his inability to find a sock) for Kurohebi's real name.
- Elfman bet his sisters for exchanging Bacchus's guild name to Quatro Puppy for the duration of the tournament.
- Mirajane and Jenny chose to wager that whomever loses is to appear in "Sorcerer Magazine" in the nude.
- Kagura and Yukino chose to wager their lives.
Second Day Results
|Team Raven Tail||18|
|Team Mermaid Heel||16|
|Team Fairy Tail A||12|
|Team Fairy Tail B||11|
|Team Quatro Puppy||10|
|Team Lamia Scale||4|
|Team Blue Pegasus||3|
- Due to the exhaustion sustained from the second days event, Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki of Team Blue Pegasus, was unable to participate for the remainder of the day and was temporarily replaced by the reserve member, Jenny Realight.
- Due to the damage sustained from the second battle, Elfman Strauss of Team Fairy Tail A, was unable to participate in the remainder of the Games and was replaced by the primary member, Wendy Marvell.
- Due to the loss gained from the fourth battle, Yukino Aguria of Team Sabertooth, was unable to participate in the remainder of the Games, due to excommunication from the Guild and was replaced by the primary member, Minerva.
Third Day: July 3, X791
Pandemonium & MPF
The third day's event is "Pandemonium", in which the participants are:
- The participant in the temple can choose to take on any number of the 100 monsters at a time, but must defeat them all if they wish to continue.
- If they do defeat them, the number they overcame will be added to their event score.
- Should they fall in their fight, they will be removed from the event with the score they have earned up until that point.
- The participants have no control over which level of monster they face, as the generation of the monsters is random, and must choose the number of monsters they wish to face with this in mind.
- The game ends when either all participants run out of Magic power, or all the monsters are defeated.
However, Erza Scarlet of Team Fairy Tail A finishes the event by herself, resulting in the organizers having to plan a secondary event for the remaining seven teams.
MPF (Magic Power Finder)
In the secondary event, participants must hit a Magic power measuring device with the strongest attack they can muster.
- The device will grant each player a number score, which they will then be ranked on.
|Millianna vs. Semmes|
|Eve Tearm vs. Rufus Lohr|
|Laxus Dreyar vs. Alexei|
|Wendy Marvell vs. Chelia Blendy|
- Due to the events of the Team Fairy Tail B versus Team Raven Tail battle, Raven Tail was disqualified for the rest of the games, for the following reasons:
- Due to the damage sustained from the second battle, Eve Tearm of Team Blue Pegasus, was unable to participate in Day 4 of the Games and was replaced by the reserve member, Jenny Realight.
Third Day Results
|Team Fairy Tail B||18|
|Team Fairy Tail A||15|
|Team Mermaid Heel||13|
|Team Lamia Scale||11|
|Team Quatro Puppy||2|
|Team Blue Pegasus||1|
|Team Raven Tail||Disqualified|
Fourth Day: July 4, X791
The fourth day's event is "Naval Battle", in which the participants are:
In this game, the participants swim inside a floating sphere of water.
- The participants must knock one another outside of the sphere, with points being awarded based on the order in which the players are eliminated.
- Falling out of the sphere results in the contestant being automatically removed from play for the rest of the event.
- The last person remaining in the sphere will be the victor, and receive top points.
- Any form of Magic or technique can be used to assist in knocking rival participants out.
- When only two participants remain in the ring, a special 5-minute timer will be set. Should one of the participants fall out of the sphere during this time, they will not receive second place, rather they will automatically come last.
Due to the odd number of teams caused by Team Raven Tail's disqualification when they cheated the previous day, to make the numbers even, the Games officials had the two Fairy Tail teams disband and then merge into one Team Fairy Tail. They are to continue the games with the 35 points earned by Team Fairy Tail A.
|Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki & Nichiya vs. Bacchus & Rocker|
|Kagura Mikazuchi & Millianna vs. Lyon Vastia & Yuka Suzuki|
|Natsu Dragneel & Gajeel Redfox vs. Sting Eucliffe & Rogue Cheney|
- Due to the damage sustained from the first battle, Nichiya of Team Blue Pegasus, was unable to participate in Day 5 of the Games and was replaced by the formerly injured member, Eve Tearm.
Fourth Day Results
|Team Blue Pegasus||12|
|Team Fairy Tail||10|
|Team Lamia Scale||9|
|Team Mermaid Heel||8|
|Team Quatro Puppy||1|
|Team Fairy Tail A||Disbanded|
|Team Fairy Tail B||Disbanded|
Fifth Day, July 6, X791: Grand Magic Game
The final day of the Tournament is a battle royale with every team and their members participate in a team battle, known as the "Grand Magic Game". The battle ground is the entire city of Crocus where all the teams are already spread out.
The rules are as follows:
- All members wander the streets and if they encounter members of another guild they are to fight.
- When participant loses consciousness or deemed unable to continue the battle, the opposing team scores one point.
- Each team must appoint one of their members as team leader, this is kept secret from the rest of the other guilds.
- If the team leader falls, the opposing team gains 5 points.
- The total maximum number of points is 45 points, this implies that every team has a chance of winning.
- Moving as a one group or separate is totally up to the individual members of the team.
Points garnered in this event are added to the overall score gained throughout the Games.
|Guild||Team||Team Leader||No. of Members Defeated||No. of Opponents Defeated||Score||Total|
|Team Fairy Tail||?||0||11||19||64|
|Team Lamia Scale||Jura Neekis||5||6||10||50|
|Team Mermaid Heel||Kagura Mikazuchi||5||3||3||43|
|Team Blue Pegasus||Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki||5||2||2||32|
|Team Quatro Puppy||Bacchus||5||0||0||15|
In Volume 32's extra content, Mashima provided the battle statistics for 31 of the 40 X791 contestants in the Grand Magic Games. The stats, however, were provided not from Mashima's point-of-view as the author but from the view point of Sorcerer Magazine reporter Jason, which explains why some stats are missing and why others may be inaccurate. Each contestant was rated by Attack, Defense, Speed, Intelligence, and a special stat that was unique to each contestant. For example, Mirajane Strauss' "special stat" was "Pin-Up." The stats were set on a scale from 1 to 5. Although the scale was supposed to stop at 5, the highest any character could get in any stat was COOL! which was slightly above 5. In Jason's opinion, Jura Neekis had the highest stats out of the 31 contestants and Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki had the lowest.
|Past Winners||Team Sabertooth|
|X790||Team Sabertooth • Team Lamia Scale • Team Fairy Tail|
|X791||Team Sabertooth • Team Raven Tail • Team Lamia Scale • Team Blue Pegasus • Team Mermaid Heel • Team Quatro Puppy • Team Fairy Tail B • Team Fairy Tail A • Team Fairy Tail • Team Twilight Ogre|