For the chapter of the same name, see Chapter 490.
|Fairy Tail Zerø|
Fearī Teiru Zerø
Monthly Fairy Tail Magazine
July 17, 2014 – July 17, 2015
Main article: Zerø arc
The story behind the creation of Mage Guild Fairy Tail begins to unfold on Tenrou Island. On the year X679, Mavis Vermilion is left to fend for herself after a war takes the lives of those who reside on the island. Seven years later, she encounters those who will, in the near future, title themselves as the founding members of Fairy Tail.
Written and illustrated by Hiro Mashima, "Fairy Tail Zerø" is a monthly spin-off manga that was serialized in Monthly Fairy Tail Magazine from July 17, 2014 to July 17, 2015. The individual chapters had been collected and published in a tankōbon volume by Kodansha, which was released on November 17, 2015. There are 13 chapters in total.
The series was licensed for an English language release in North America by Kodansha USA on November 15, 2015, with the volume released on July 12, 2016.
Fairy Tail Zerø
|Japanese Release Date:||North American Release Date:|
| || |
|Chapters||English chapter titles||Cover character(s)|
- During chapters 1-10, the "Ø" in the title of the covers gradually loses it's opaqueness finally disappearing in Chapter 11. On Chapter 12 the Ø gets replaced with A which is a nod to the character Zera. Additionally on Chapter 13 the Ø is turned into an actual 0 (FAIRY TAIL ZER0).
- The disappearance of the Ø is a nod to the eventual reveal that Zera was an illusion.
- In an interview about the story of Fairy Tail Zerø, Hiro Mashima went in-depth on the details of some of the specific processes when creating the story, its characters, as well as some parts that had to be scribbled out due to 20 page limit:
- In Fairy Tail Zerø: Chapter 10, Zera was the one who was supposed to lock the cage in which imprisoned Geoffery, but due to her being an illusion, it couldn't be locked, leading to the latter's escape.
- Instead of the "Ø" gradually disappearing over the series, Hiro Mashima instead wanting to do a countdown of numbers leading to zero or a countdown of letters in the alphabet but eventually settled for the gradual loss of opaqueness.
- Hiro Mashima wanted Mavis' initial character depiction to be someone who hated guilds, then coming to gradually love them. But due to the page limit, he had to drop this idea.
- Hiro Mashima stated he really wanted fans to understand that Law and Fairy Law were completely different Magics, with the latter being a perfected version of the former.
- Geoffrey's (Phantom Lord's future founder) surname was supposed to be mentioned in the story.
- ↑ ＦＡＩＲＹ ＴＡＩＬ ＺＥＲＯ 真島ヒロ at Kodansha
- ↑ Fairy Tail Zerø by Hiro Mashima at Kodansha Comics
- ↑ Monthly FT Magazine Volume 13 Interview